Friday 1 February 2013

What do I mean by 'barefoot running'?

Bare feet
Not my feet. In case you wondered.
I suppose I should clarify something from the outset. I'm not actually planning to run barefoot. Not literally. I'm planning to wear shoes.

But those shoes will be of the 'barefoot' variety. What does that mean? Shoes that only work if you run as if with bare feet. They offer no cushioning, torsion bars, arch support or kinetic energy preserving magic gel. They make your feet do all the work. But they have the advantage over bare feet of an extra layer of protection against stones, glass and other less savoury hazards.

Fortunately for me there is a plethora of products available for exactly that. Shoes with next to nothing on top and a sole that flexes naturally with the foot, giving you the headstart of a synthetic calloused skin. Some use the term 'minimalist', but I prefer 'barefoot.' Sounds more fun.

Having said all this, I hope I might genuinely go barefoot when our club does grass track sessions at the local grammar school in the summer. We'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment