Saturday 1 June 2013

Day 44 - Gear: Sunwise Twister Sunglasses, and my wonky face

Rest day. Time to look at gear again. This time it's my sunglasses.


I only got these quite recently. Sunwise Twister glasses - a bit of a budget option from Sunwise (they fit into the 'cycling or running' category so they're fairly generic) They come with interchangeable lenses - a very pale yellow pair, the orange ones you can see in the photo, and a darker brown pair.

I'd always been a bit dubious about running in sunglasses. Partly because I didn't want to look like a poser, and partly because I don't really like wearing things on my head. And I imagined I'd be very aware of them as I was running. I actually chose to get some for a slightly odd reason - race day nerves. I get so nervous on race days that I wanted to try literally hiding behind a pair of sunglasses. I thought that maybe, if I had glasses on, I'd feel more like I was in my own bubble, my slightly fragile psyche hidden, and a veneer of confidence displayed. Maybe I would run like a champion.

I've only worn them for one race, but I have used them quite a bit in training. I've been pleasantly surprised that they don't interfere with running at all. They weigh next to nothing. And once they're on, they're on. They don't move about at all. They just sit there. The two lighter pairs of lenses don't block a lot of light, but they do give the world a lovely glow, which makes the whole running experience feel quite surreal. And in the race? Well I ran a very relaxed race that led to a PB. I don't know if it was the glasses that did it, but I suppose that's a pretty good endorsement of their mystical psychological powers.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they show up the wonkiness of my face. Or my ears. Whatever is wonky. I basically have one eyebrow revealed and the other covered when I'm wearing them. Sadly, I didn't realise quite how wonky I am until I got these glasses. But since I'm hiding behind them so effectively, I don't need to worry, because nobody knows it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment