Tuesday 26 March 2013

'Second Old Git'

When I first decided to try out barefoot running about 6 weeks ago, I posted my reasons for it. They had a lot to do with wanting to run faster. Like many keen amateurs I'm always looking to shave a few seconds off here or there, looking for that extra few percent. Barefoot running seemed like a good way to find a little bit extra.

But as I've been researching, or explaining my ideas to others, I've found myself focussing less on the performance benefits and more on the potential impact on my long term running career. It sounds like it could well prolong it. If this style of running does use the bones and muscles of the feet and legs in a more efficient way, if it does reduce impact by using natural shock absorbing properties, then it's got to be a good idea in the long run.

I'd like to still be running well in 20 years, and not one of these runners that has succumbed to dodgy knees and worn out hips etc. I fancy being one of these quick vets that I run with now, but I've got a way to go and could do with a running style that gives me the best chance. Dave, in my club, was second vet50 in a race last year and called himself 'second old git'. I'd like to be second old git one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment