Friday 29 March 2013

Tom Williams of Marathon Talk offers his top tip

I've been getting in touch with various people who might know about more about running than me, telling them what I'm planning to do - making the transition to barefoot running - and then asking them for a top tip.

Here's what Tom Williams of Marathon Talk had to say:
"Transition slowly over time and listen very carefully to what your body is telling you, particularly your feet." 
Short and sweet. 


I've become a bit of a fan of Marathon Talk. It's like TMS for runners. Two chaps with a bit of a public school air (only a guess, they might just be from Surrey) present a podcast that's usually around 90 min long. They talk about running, interview some high quality guests and offer training advice. And they do it all with plenty of banter that would be made complete by observing the number of red buses that have gone past the Nursery End. 

A 90 min podcast is great when you're doing a long run, though if you use it up early in the week you end up having to ration the remainder, working out on which run you're going to most need a bit of company. If anybody sees me chuckling while I run it's probably because I'm listening to these two. (Or because I'm remembering something funny I said earlier. Yes, I do that)

Somehow they've made it to 168 episodes without running out of things to say, or enthusiasm for the world of running. I'd highly recommend it if you find runs a little bit lonely, get bored listening to songs, or want to find yourself speeding up involuntarily whenever they talk about racing. You can find them on iTunes, download it for free, and join in with the forum and Facebook page too.

No comments:

Post a Comment