Thursday 4 April 2013

David Castle, Editor of Running Fitness Magazine, gives me some advice

Still on the trail of good advice in the wide world of running wisdom, I got in touch with David Castle, editor of Running Fitness Magazine. Refreshingly, David was a bit more cautious than some others I have contacted, noting that we're still gathering data on the long term effects of exclusively minimalist running.

Here's what he had to say:
"...my best advice would be to find a nice flat field and a pair of shoes that are minimalist rather than barefoot. It all depends on what you wear at the moment. Going from a 12mm drop shoe to 0mm drop shoe is very extreme and unless you are a very efficient runner, you will create all sorts of problems. Research your shoe choice well and find one that suits you, not one recommended by someone else."
The eagle eyed will notice that I'm currently going against almost all his advice! So I need to have a bit of a think about that.

But I can see where he is coming from, especially considering the difference between a 12mm drop and a true minimalist shoe. I think the way it might affect me has a lot do with what I'm trying to achieve. The more I reflect on the whole subject, the more I feel I am open to a life in barefoot shoes, but I'm chiefly concerned with remodelling my running 'form'. For me, that's the purpose of changing the shoe. I imagine that, rather than staying completely minimalist, I might eventually end up running in something that has a zero drop but does offer some cushioning. That way I'm not constantly pounding my feet against concrete and tarmac with nothing in between. This would disappoint some purists but it seems to me the most sensible route - harnessing the advantages while adding a layer of protection. This way, barefoot running is not an end in itself, which ought to allow me operate with a certain level of common sense about the whole thing.

I noticed this edition has 'The Queen of
Ultras' as a headline. I think Barrow's
own Helen James is currently staking a
claim for that title!
David Castle is the editor of Running Fitness, one of those publications I read from time to time. There's a man on Loughborough market who sells old copies of magazines for £1 each. It's great if you fancy picking up something to read and you don't mind if they are two or three months out of date. Most magazines probably fall into that category, unless they are Heat or its equivalent (which I don't read, let's just clear that up...). So when he has a batch of Running Fitness I buy a few at a time. I picked up the January '13 edition last week, with articles all about winter running. Given that my most recent race was cancelled due to snow, it still feels highly relevant.

In the past I have subscribed to Runner's World and there is certainly a contrast between the two titles. RW is snappier, flashier, with more graphics and shorter articles. It always has things aimed at the new runner, though I still enjoy the various features. It's thicker, so it packs more in. Runner's Fitness feels like it's just a little bit more serious, a little bit more highbrow. The articles are often slightly longer, somehow deeper. I feel they resonate with me as a 'thinking runner', as if it is put together by people who really know how runners tick. Clearly I prefer it! (I'm not sure I'd worked that out until I started typing this…) So next time I subscribe to something it should be to RF. But, let's be honest, if they keep appearing for £1 on Loughborough market that subscription might not happen anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment