Thursday 18 April 2013

Day 3 - Video analysis

Nothing to report today. Except that the calves, feet, ankles all feel normal still. I've tried to do a little  bit of massage on them, but it's tricky when you can't actually feel any soreness. And it's difficult to keep up the exercises now that I've started. 

However, we've got some far more interesting things to think about today. Video analysis. Rhiannon kindly filmed me on the Day 1 so that I had a record of my running style and could see whether the new shoes made an immediate difference.



This first one is in the Brooks GTS 12s. Fully cushioned, apparently America's most popular running shoe (according to the website). It's my first look at my own running style and… I'm going to say it's not too bad. I was worried I might have limbs flailing or a strange lurch, but I appear to look reasonably normal. I'm pleased with a noticeable backlift, which comes just about horizontal, though it could be quite a lot higher. I can see a bit of lateral movement in that backlift, which clubmates have told me about before - my famous flick. It's not as bad as they made out though. There's also bit of a lean, I think perhaps too much of a lean. And I definitely heel-strike.



And here I am in barefoot shoes. In the general shots, I can't really see a difference. The close up is interesting though. In both directions, I've only just set off, and I'm immediately into a heel-strike. But a few steps in it appears I start to respond to the feel of the road and shift to something more mid foot, the whole foot landing at the same time. It's only a few frames we're working with, so it's difficult to tell, but it seems that it takes a few strides to settle in and react to the 'proprioception'. (I've read this word a lot. I think it means 'feeling what it all feels like').

No comments:

Post a Comment