Wednesday 21 August 2013

Day 127 - First tempo run

So I've done my first tempo run in barefoot shoes. And now my feet really hurt. Blisters in several places and bruised heels.  What happened?

It was a normal club night, and I decided to test myself by running with the fastest group. After a couple of miles at 6:15 it became quite clear I was not going to manage that, so I dropped back a bit and, fortunately, my friend Alex was also fancying something a little more sedate so he joined me. Why the painful feet then? Partly because we ran for a good solid hour and covered over 8 miles which I'm only just getting used to. Partly because of the speed we ran which resulted in extra stress and friction on every step. Mainly because of the stones on the tracks we used, which I just couldn't seem to avoid. So tonight I'm hobbling around and hoping that tomorrow I feel okay. The curious thing is it's my heels that are bruised, which means that walking is actually more painful than running.

Meanwhile, I called into the local running shop today and saw that they had some New Balance Minimus on sale at only £45. Zero drop, with a bit more cushioning than the Merrells, maybe just what I need to protect against these stones?

No comments:

Post a Comment