Friday 23 August 2013

Day 129 - They're possibly green

I took another rest day. My calves are still sore from Tuesday's run and my heels still feel bruised. And one of the rules I adopted at the outset of this was: don't run when your legs hurt. This is not just to be a bit of a wimp, but to understand that I'm still building the muscles and gaining capacity. I'm asking my legs to do something that, with each progressive increase in distance or speed, they're only just strong enough to do. In order to minimise the risk of injury it makes sense to give them another day or two of recovery after a heavy workout.

Once I'm fully up and running (no pun intended) I probably will run through the soreness a bit more often, using a run to ease the stiffness from a run, if you like. But I'm conscious that while I'm doing something still relatively new to my lower limbs I ought to treat pain not simply as a sign of progress but as the possibility of damage.

This means I haven't yet tried out my new shoes. So, instead, I've been looking at them. I said they were yellow but, in the photos, they look green. In real life they look both and it really does depend on the light. What is certain is that they look much more like trainers than my Merrells do, like the kind of thing Usain Bolt might wear on the track (minus the spikes). I'm hoping to break them in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment