Tuesday 6 August 2013

Days 108 to 113 - Mo-la Budd

Day 108 - 5.21 miles

Back to the grass track tonight for speedwork. More specifically, the 'mad mile' and 'terrible twos'. It's a session we do once a month in the summer. The idea is to run a flat-out mile at the start and track your progress month to month. Last year I improved from 6:00 to 5:33 across the course of the summer. This year I was hoping to get down into the teens, but then I wasn't counting on a lengthy transition period to barefoot running. So, knowing I probably couldn't run as fast as last year, I picked another chap from the club who would likely come somewhere in the 5:50s and decided to sit on his shoulder for the first three laps before testing myself with a final lap flourish. It could all go wrong if I'd picked the wrong man to track. Also, I shed my shoes. I'd never tried a fast barefoot mile before, but I was keen to.

In practice, it was great . Exhilarating. I felt like a barefoot Mo. A kind of cross between Mo and Zola Budd. Mola Budd. Quietly tucked in behind, biding my time, I was staying fresh, knowing I was running within myself,holding something  reserve for a spectacular finish. Then, with 400 metres to go, I visualised Mo and the Olympic crowd roaring him on. I was Mo now, and I began to pick up the pace, accelerating with every 50 metres, leaving my friend behind and chasing down the next runner on the track. With 150m to go I caught and passed him too and then put my foot down for home. The (imaginary) crowd went wild. What a run!

In fact, I was somewhat slower than last year, coming in at 5:50. Nothing too impressive about that. And I suspect I could have eeked out another 5-10 if I'd actually run flat out. But I'll trade that for the experience of running barefoot, in nothing but a vest and shorts, on a steaming hot night, and the exhilaration chasing down runners on the bend of a track. You don't get to do that as a road runner. Sure, you can pass people as you near the finish, and I'm lucky enough to have a good finish in races so I usually do.* But, as a fan of athletics, I see my heroes staking their claims to greatness on a burnt orange track. Pulling out on the bend to accelerate and pass someone is a joy reserved for those track runners.  Tonight I shared in their joy.

I also enjoyed the continued fascination among club mates at my running with bare feet. Some think I'm a bit odd. Some think I'm doing quite well considering my disadvantage. Some understand the theory and are wondering if they might be able to do it. Most appreciate that I'm a runner trying to run better. I suppose that's because it's what we're all doing our different ways.

The terrible twos closed the session. Pair up with someone you were close to in the mile, put in a hard 200 and tag your partner. Recover by traversing the field to your original position and waiting for your next turn. 10 minutes later, it's all over. Hard but good.

*this is a little surprising because my flat out sprinting speed really isn't very fast at all

Day 109 - Rest

Never run two days in a row. That's my current motto. I've not yet decided how I'll know when I'm ready to break that rule. It might not be until the six months are up - I'm hoping my legs will tell me.

Day 110 - Rest

Working today at a conference till late in the evening, so no opportunity to run.

Day 111 - Rest

Ditto.

Day 112 - Rest

And more conference. I could have taken my shoes, there would have been opportunities. But I've been camping (lodging in a friend's tent) and before I came I wasn't really sure what the shower situation would be.

Day 113 - 7.11 miles

Back to running. This was a good day because, having established I can run for 7 miles without any problems, I was able to return to one of my staple routes. I have various routes from my front door (as all runners do) for which I've mapped out the distance. And the good thing about regular routes is that you can compare how you feel as you run them, you can gauge your effort and track your speed. You can easily choose the one you need for any particular distance or workout. And this one takes me past a beautiful reservoir, so I'm glad to be back on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment