Thursday 29 August 2013

Days 131 to 136 - New shoes and a bruise

Day 131 - 4.22 miles
One of the results of doing something unusual (most people consider running in minimalist shoes to be unusual) and writing a blog is that people begin to treat you like an expert. And its easy to be taken in and start believing it. I enjoy explaining why I decided to give this a try, and what benefits I hope to reap. And each time I do it I discover I'm a little bit more of a enthusiast, and have stronger opinions about the merits of the whole thing.

Today was a fun one because we (Rhiannon and I) actually got to take a couple of people out to a field to demonstrate. We were visiting Rhiannon's sister and partner near Cambridge and we took to the village playing field for a bit of a lesson. I'm increasingly convinced that the secret to changing your form is to take your shoes off and up your cadence. It is almost impossible to run the same way as before if you make those changes. And a pair of willing students made a good job of their first attempt.

We then set off for a few miles of slightly more normal running, during which I got to have another go with the Minimus. I liked them a lot more this time. I found I could maintain a fairly easy pace and not have to worry so much about what I was landing on. They felt comfortable, but I did get a small blister on the side of my foot. Still, looking forward to the next outing.

Day 132 - Rest
I seem to have acquired a bruise in the ball of my left foot. I doubt I did it yesterday so I think it must be from the longer stoney run last week, but aggravated yesterday. If I'm honest I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It hurts a bit, but not too much. But I do want it to go away. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Day 133 - Rest
That nagging bruisey feeling is still there. I don't have to run today so I'm going to give it another day to rest. I'm not sure whether it is the kind of thing that will gradually go away regardless, or if running on it exacerbates it.

Day 134 - 8.08 miles
Brilliant. A club night, a very similar route to a couple weeks ago through the forest, round the park and over the golf course. But this time in the Minimus. It was so much easier to run on the trails and speed down the hills. That little bit extra cushioning (actually it feels like quite a lot) makes all the difference. I no longer had to look down all the time or dodge every pebble. And, what's more, it was my fastest run since the change. 6:54s, which on this route is worth 6:45 on the flat I'd say. I particularly enjoyed stretching out on the long downhill back into the village.

So these are good shoes for running fast in. And good for dry trails. But I think I need to get those Vapor Gloves back on soon to make sure I'm not wimping out. And I now have a massive blister on the side of my right foot. I'm thinking I might try these Minimus with super-thin socks to counter that.

Day 135 - Rest
I completely forgot about that bruise yesterday. And now it really hurts - in a bruisey-ache way. Doesn't feel sinister, but it is sore. As such, I'm going to try a couple of extra days rest and some extra ice. I don't want to risk injury at this stage by being over confident.

Day 136 - Rest
Bruise a bit better. You can't see it so I'm just going on feel. I have completely forgotten to ice though, so I'll get on to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment