Tuesday 14 May 2013

Day 28 - 2 miles on tarmac

I've been doing a lot of my running on grass recently, so I wanted to have a go on tarmac and see how it felt. The advantage of grass is that it is quite forgiving, so you can do more. The disadvantage is that it is quite forgiving, so your technique doesn't have to be so good.

Having set off on my 2 mile loop I found that, compared to my recent runs, my heel was making slightly lighter contact with the ground. That makes sense to me - the grass allows a more mid-foot landing. I was finding the cadence very naturally, happily running in time to U2. But I was also aware that if I was landing slightly further forward, I was eventually going to feel it. The first mile was fairly straightforward, but in the second mile I was increasingly aware that I was tugging at my calves with each step. Not pain, but the growing discomfort that says you are beginning to fatigue a muscle.

I'm pleased to have completed my first, 2 mile, non-stop road run in the barefoot shoes. I'm also expecting to ache quite a lot tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment